zondag 28 augustus 2011

Sigur Ros: Heima

Yesterday I watched a DVD devoted to a documentary film on Sigur Ros' 2006 Iceland tour. The band had been touring all over the world and when they came back to Iceland they added a string of 14 concerts in small cities and tiny villages all over the island. Heima ('home') blends live performanes, short interviews, and evocative nature stills into a surprisingly intimate, reflective whole. These are skillful musicians that are capable of producing something more than average pop drivel. It has taken me a long while to get into Sigur Ros, but as time goes by my appreciation waxes. I'm also intrigued by their way of working, which, as the film hints at, is very organic and also strikes me as very down-to-earth and authentic. I wonder when their 'indefinite hiatus' that started in 2008 will be suspended with new work. Soon a double live CD and film will be issued (Inni) but that too predates the hiatus. We wait with keen anticipation.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten