zondag 7 november 2010

The Blue Nile - Hats

On Saturday a pop intermezzo. Ever since I received a Blue Nile CD - 'Peace at Last' - from PC (part of our exchange project) I have held them in high regard. Nevertheless it took a long while before I added two other CDs to my collection: 'Walk across the rooftops' (1984) and 'Hats'(1989). I like all of them, but Hats is my favourite. A collection of moody ballads drenched in boreal spleen, carried by Paul Buchanan's melancholy voice, tastefully arranged (guitar, bass, drums, synths and strings), and superbly recorded (by Linn Records; in fact it appears that the record label was established with the express purpose to release the band's first CD). I also love that the songs are rather long, with three of the seven songs on the disc lasting over six minutes. 'Over the hillside' is a great opener with the thumping bass and morose horn suggesting the exhilaration of travel and the pang of farewell, respectively.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten