zondag 13 mei 2012

Nielsen: Symphony nr. 4

In the wake of Albéric Magnard's Fourth Symphony, which reminded me so much of Nielsen's symphonic work, I relistened to the latter's Inextinguishable. With around 15 versions in my collection I know the work well. This one - a 1974 recording with the Los Angeles PO led by Zubin Mehta - I hadn't heard before. It's not a total success. Although timings are fairly standard, Mehta's heavenstorming reading strikes me as clipped and breathless. There is hard-hitting energy but no sense of mystery. So, ultimately it's more Walt Disney than Somme or Verdun. The players of the LAPO are not to blame: their playing is very accomplished. Particularly the winds shine in the Poco adagio. Despite a brisk tempo this is the movement that probably comes off best. The reference recording for me is still the 1982 Karajan/BPO who turns this symphony into a veritable cosmic drama.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten