vrijdag 23 december 2011

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

This was something very special. Today I listened twice to Pink Floyd's The Final Cut, on vinyl. This recording has always been very dear to me, as it came in the wake of and very much extends the reach of The Wall. The latter, and particularly the 1982 Alan Parker film that was inspired by it, was one of the most formative musical experiences in my life. It struck me when I was at a vulnerable age, full of doubt and not a little anguish as I transited into adulthood. I went to see the movie four times in a row. Its strong images reinforced by Pink Floyd's larger than life music continued to haunt my early adulthood for many years.

The story behind The Final Cut is well known, of course. It was, in fact, Roger Waters' first solo album, so to speak performed by Pink Floyd (that's what the record sleeve says). Soon after finishing the recordings, the band split up, for good. Similar to The Wall it's a rock opera, but on a more modest scale. You have to listen to it front to back; there is no other way. Musically, for me it reaches similar heights as The Wall. I was aware of the superb quality of the recording (very much in evidence in Waters' later albums too), but today I was really struck by the amazing, holographic quality of the music, the vividness and the raw power of it all. It's just perfect and I can't see how my experience today could be superseded even if you threw hands full of money at the hifi setup. Incidentally, the album is recorded using the Holophonics technology, but allegedly the effectiveness of this has never been validated. Well, for me it works wonderfully and for 45 minutes I was in audiophile heaven. But it's more than just about nerdy indulgences, of course. Waters' evocative sound effects, the fantastically sophisticated orchestral arrangements (signed Michael Kamen), the trenchant lyrics, Gilmour's stratospheric guitar solos and the wonderful overall flow of the drama make for a superb listening experience. A great start of what will hopefully be a serene and restful Xmas holiday week.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten