dinsdag 12 april 2011

Bartok - Piano Works

A parting shot before I'm leaving on a 10-day study trip devoted to urbanistic projects in Switzerland and surroundings. I picked up this CD quite unsuspectingly. The name Claude Helffer rang only the dimmest of bells. But given how hard it is to find really satisfactory Bartok piano recordings I thought it was worth taking the chance. Well, after a first, cursory hearing this sounds like a genuine winner. Helffer, a champion of avant garde music, was 60 when he recorded this stellar program with some of Bartok's most intimidating works for the keyboard. He sounds supremely confident in this music. The playing is gutsy and muscular, dark and full of malice. It reminds me of some of Liszt's 'diabolical' pieces. The 1982 recording is splendid, with a full-bodied, earthy but lean piano tone. I look forward to listening more carefully to this recital upon my return. I have the Belcea's quartets on my Sony mp3-player. I suppose that will keep me busy.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten