dinsdag 22 maart 2011

Bryars - Piano Concerto/Feldman - Durations, Coptic Light


Last week I was in Geneva to give a talk at a conference. Later I drove to the Valtournenche to discuss my Matterhorn photo project with a potential author for an essay to be included in the book. The rental car had a CD player but I forgot to bring any music. So I popped into the local FNAC and bought two discs for listening on the road. I must say none of them gave me particular pleasure. 

Bryars I've known for quite a while. I particularly admire his two quartets, recorded in the early 1990s by the Balanescu Quartet for the Argo label. As the Second Quartet seems to take off where the First ends, I have taken to the habit of listening to them back-to-back, as one single giant quartet. They espouse a sweet, lyric minimalism that is accessible but never dull. The Third Maconchy quartet I listened to recently has something of that same flavour (although likely the music is a little more muscular than the Bryars). However, I also have his Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet (featuring Tom Waits) and I don't think this has been in the CD player more than twice. I bought this Naxos disc partly on the strength of the soloist. I think Ralph van Raat has offered some interesting programs on the Naxos label and I was eager to give him the benefit of the doubt in this Bryars recital. There are two solo pieces - After Handel's Vesper and Ramble on Cortona - and a Piano Concerto (The Solway Canal). Here Van Raat gives a little background on the genesis of the latter work and his appreciation of it. The concerto is indeed a rather strange work, half an hour long, in a single movement and with an unorthodox orchestration involving a male chorus The tempo and dynamics are almost static. The music meanders in much the same way as a river would. The piano part does not sound virtuosic at all. It is buried throughout into the orchestral and choral matrix.  It seems Bryars wanted to create a dreamlike atmosphere but it is a fine line between reverie and somnolence. I am tempted to tilt towards the latter. I don't have a problem with tonality, neo-romanticism and lyricism per se, but here there is simply not enough tension to keep me involved. I tend to agree with this Guardian critic who was baffled by the featurelessness and the lack of striking musical ideas. The same applies to the solo pieces which are curiously dull and seem almost deliberately under-composed. This is not minimalism anymore but a kind of forced dilettantism. I am not sure what the point is.

Onwards then to something very different compositionally, but strikingly similar aurally. I have always been intrigued by Feldman's Coptic Light (1986) but never had a chance to hear it. With Bryars it shares a floating kind of rhythm, a slow tempo, muted dynamics, and kaleidoscopic but subtle (if you wish) shifts in texture. Coptic Light sounds like a heaving, breathing animal, 23 minutes long. It deploys a huge orchestra but that is nowhere in evidence. Dynamics never seem to rise above forte. Towards the end it becomes a tad more engaged and sounds like a geriatric version of the Sacre, with just a hint of ritualistic frenzy. Durations I-V are a set of chamber pieces written almost 30 years earlier. Scored for various ensembles - including less obvious instrumenst such as tuba and vibraphone - they actually sound like miniature versions of Light. The same kind of wave-like, heaving patterns throughout. It's all not unpleasant to listen to. I easily cycled four or five times through the complete disc without it ever getting on my nerves. But it never really catches fire either. Maybe it's the recording or playing which is to blame (Coptic Light is played by the DSO, in principle a very good orchestra, conducted by Michael Morgan, who has apparently been assistant conductor of Solti and Barenboim at the CSO).

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten